1 Cup - Tamarind juice (Thick)
Salt to taste
1 Tbsp - Jaggery(Sharkkara)
Grated coconut for garnishing
7 Tbsp - Oil
1Tsp -Mustard seeds
1 Tsp - Black gram(Uzhunnuparippu)
2 Tbsp - Peanuts(Nelakadala)
1 Tbsp - Bengal gram(Kadalaparippu)
4 Nos - Red chillies(Kollamulaku)
4 Nos - Curry leaves
For grinding :
1 Cup - Dessicated coconut or shredded copra
2 tsp - Coriander seeds
1 Tsp - Peppercorns
1 Pinch - Asafoetida(Kayam)
7 Nos - Red chillies(Kollamulaku)
1 Tsp - Cumin seeds(Jeerakam)
5 Nos - Curry leaves
2 Tsp - Sesame seeds(Ellu)
2 tsp - Bengal gram(Kadalaparippu)
1 tsp - Peanuts(Nelakadala)
1 tsp - Black gram(Uzhunnuparippu)
Cooking Instructions :
For the ground masala:
- Roast all the ingredients one by one and grind until fine except coconut.
- Then add dessicated coconut and grind once again to mix well.
For the tamarind juice:
- Soak tamarind in warm water for an hour and extract juice from it. Keep it aside.
- Heat oil in a pan.
- Add all the ingredients for seasoning one by one.
- Add tamarind juice and mix well.
- Add jaggery/sugar and salt and allow it to boil.
- Add ground masala powder to the boiling juice.
- Turn heat to medium and boil for few more minutes till the juice becomes thick and oil separates.
For the tamarind rice:
- Heat little ghee and oil in a pan.
- Add mustard seeds, black gram, peanuts and curry leaves.
- Add cooked rice and about 2 tbsp of prepared tamarind sauce.
- Mix well and Garnish with fresh grated coconut.